Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Almighty WIP

Every now & then, when I pause to think about what's impending, due, or overdue in my life, my WIPs will rear their beautiful little heads and I end up with a case of knitting guilt. You see, I have several WIPs that have been WIPs for y-e-a-r-s....some of them could be Kindergartners...at least none are approaching my grade level yet-5th grade- where I teach 9 & 10 year olds. My problem in finishing my WIPs isn't that I dislike the pattern or have grown tired of the yarn. Oh NO! Not at all - like this one for example:

IMG_1076_edited

This is the De Colores Jacket by Ginger Luters and it's almost old enough to be in Kindergarten. With this WIP, it seems that I'm going to have to modify the back by leaving out one panel - made the wrong size. I don't think that's going to problem, but it will mean that I have to pay attention. I've actually finished all the body panels and have started the sleeve panels- only eight to go! What I've learned by knitting this WIP is that I don't like finishing very much. I'm pretty sure I'll never make another modular sweater...if i ever actually make one!

Then there are younger WIPs like the Shawl with Cables

Cable shawl progress

...nothing wrong here...but oh look! It's another modular project that I'm not in any hurry to finish.

And my Plurk Socks ....

Slave to the Plurk

I messed up the heel on these and had to frog back a ways. I keep putting off turning the heel because, again, I'll have to pay attention and that seems to be hard to do these days.

It seems my knitting mojo has been on the fritz or vacation or down with the flu...or something. Today for example, I started some Handsome Mittens by Cheryl Niamath from this quarter's Interweave Knits. It's not a hard pattern - just reverse stockinette....so what did I do? I just knitted right through the increases and found myself wondering why they were so skinny...so RIPPIT-RIPPIT-RIPPIT they went- all the way back to the cuff...sigh .... I hope my whole "knitatude" improves soon - or my "Almighty WIPs" might have to become "Eternal WIPs"!

2 comments:

Judy said...

It must be in the air. I picked up my Philosopher's wool sweater after at least a year (probably more) in timeout and started knitting it again. Turns out it's so close to done that I can probably finish it soon (if I pick it up again and give it a little attention). My friends were over today and one of them was working on an aged WIP, too. -- TorchSinger

Daniele said...

I feel the same way about finishing. I've tried different stitches, mattress, etc. to finish up ends but they still don't come out right. I guess the more you do it, the better you get? At least I'm hoping so!!!

Love the modular projects. The colors are great. :)