Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Knitting in order to breath

M-i-l's surgery lasted from 10:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. yesterday. The valve replacement had to be tinkered around with since Mom's valve was unexpectedly smaller than the replacement. Then the doctors decided they should do a triple by-pass instead of a double one. She's in I.C.U. and has made it through the first 24 hours. They've taken her off the ventilator and are allowing her to start to wake up. She is in pain, of course. The next 24 hours are critical - we're all praying that her pain can soon begin to be managed and that there will be no bleeding or infections. She's the best m-i-l ever - I hope we can see her this weekend.



Knitting in order to breath...well, that kind of says it all, doesn't it? I remember once, around year #2 in my teaching career, I had a student who - bless him- managed to vex me enough that I excused myself from my lesson - history, I think - and sat down, took out my sock, and started to knit. That was the year I had taught a number of my 5th graders to knit, so they understood. It was knit or throw things - I think I made the right choice. So now, it seems the busier I get, the more I want to knit. Is it procrastination? Maybe - but not totally. My rector once told me, after he asked me to be Junior Warden, that if you want to get something done, you ask a busy person. So my knitting is just starting to work its way into the rhythm of my busy life. I think it's actually helping me get through the demands of the end of the year, grad school, and m-i-l's surgery. Hooray for knitting and as E.Z. would say, knit on with confidence!


Speaking of knitting on - this is the Ribbon Lace Scarf from Knitty.com spring 2008. I want to make it for my graduate school advisor as a thank you present. So here I am, adding another WIP to my list - like I need another one. I'll look in my yarn stash and see if there's anything hiding that might knit up nicely into a scarf - 10 in. x 80 in ...on size 3's...that's a lot of knitting. Maybe some nice Noro sock yarn! I'll check it out this weekend...or maybe this - Claudia Handpaints - hmmm... this could be nice! Photos to come, I'm sure!



2 comments:

MaryAnne said...

Thanks for giving an update on "Scamp" on your blog. I have been thinking about her. Please tell her that "Hildiesmom" from Ravelry was thinking about her.

I had to chuckle about your 5th grade story. I wish *I* had been a knitter when *I* taught 5th grade! LOL

ckknitter said...

I'll tell "scamp" when I see her this weekend. She was sitting up yesterday and had one of her son's looking all over Norfolk for a red popsicle! :~)ckk